The 45th president of the United States is many things, he’s proud, loud, and has an eye for business! His rise to the oval office has been somewhat controversial, but despite the number of detractors, there’s no denying that this real estate magnate turned politician is one of today’s most famous figures. Keep on reading to learn 25 facts about Donald Trump.
Fact 1: Donald John Trump was born on June 14, 1946.
- Before he entered politics, Trump was a businessman and a TV personality.
Fact 2: Trump was born and raised in the New York City borough of Queens.
- It’s where he also received his B.S. degree in economics. Trump also studied in the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
Fact 3: In 1971, Donald Trump officially took charge of his family’s real estate business.
- He then renamed the company ‘Trump Organization’ and proceeded to expand its operations from Queens and Brooklyn into Manhattan. The company builds, and renovates skyscrapers, hotels, casinos, and golf courses.
Fact 4: He is also a writer and has co-authored several books such as “The art of the deal”.
- Trump also owned the Miss Universe and Miss USA beauty pageants until 2015. He even produced and hosted the reality TV show, “The Apprentice” from 2003 to 2015.
Fact 5: Trump entered the 2016 presidential race as a Republican and bested 16 other candidates in the primaries.
- Despite losing the popular vote, Donald Trump won a surprise victory against seasoned Democratic politician, Hillary Clinton.
Fact 6: Donald Trump is the oldest first-term U.S. president in history.
- He is also the first U.S. president to have no prior government service experience.
Fact 7: During his presidency, Trump has made a lot of misleading statements that have put him under fire numerous times.
- The statements have been documented by fact-checkers, and the media have widely described the phenomenon as unprecedented in American politics.
Fact 8: The Trump Management Corporation once refused to rent to people of a certain race, sparking a racial outcry.
- The company was eventually sued by the Department of Justice for discrimination.
Fact 9: Donald Trump has featured in several movies and television shows.
- He made a cameo as himself in “Zoolander”, “Sex and the City”, and “Home Alone 2: Lost in New York”.
Fact 10: It was Ronald Reagan who first used the slogan “Make America Great Again” during his election campaign against President Jimmy Carter.
- Donald Trump only popularised the slogan when he ran in the 2016 Presidential election.
Fact 11: He has been a subject for parodies on late-night TV shows like, the Saturday Night Live by Phil Hartman, Darrell Hammond, and Alec Baldwin, and in South Park as Mr Garrison.
- The Simpsons episode “Bart to the Future”, written during his 2000 campaign for the Reform party, anticipated a future Trump presidency.
Fact 12: Trump’s wealth and lifestyle had been a fixture of hip-hop lyrics since the 1980s.
- But he was mostly referred to in hundreds of songs in a positive way.
Fact 13: His parents are Fred and Mary Anne Trump.
- Donald Trump was born into a wealthy family and grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth due to his father’s successful real estate business.
Fact 14: Donald Trump was quite the jock in his teens.
- From 1962-1964, he was in football, baseball, and soccer varsity. By 1964, he was already the captain of the school’s baseball team.
Fact 15: ‘Trump Vodka’ came onto the market in 2006.
- Donald Trump wanted to beat Grey Goose in the vodka industry, however, his vodka brand seemed to flop.
Fact 16: Donald Trump has been nominated twice for an Emmy Award for his work on TV.
- These awards were connected to ‘The Apprentice’ show.
Fact 17: Trump refuses to smoke and drink.
- This was because his older brother, Red Jr. died from substance abuse, prompting Trump to steer away from drinking and smoking.
Fact 18: He made his first huge real estate deal in Manhattan.
- It’s where he remodelled the Grand Hyatt Hotel in 1978.
Fact 19: Donald Trump once owned a university from 2005 to 2010.
- The university mostly covered real estate training.
Fact 20: Donald Trump has already been married three times.
- He has 5 children from these marriages, including, Donald Jr., Ivanka, Tiffany and young Barron.
Fact 21: Donald Trump hosted an episode of the famous late-night TV show “Saturday Night Live” during the show’s 30th season.
- The episode aired on April 3, 2004.
Fact 22: One of Donald Trump’s most stunning creations to date is the “Trump Tower”.
- It’s a magnificent skyscraper located on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, New York. The colossal structure features 58 floors of offices, stores and residential apartments.
Fact 23: Donald Trump currently owns 8 hotels.
- These include, the Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago, Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas, Doral Golf Resort & Spa, Miami in Florida, Trump International Hotel & Tower, New York; Trump Ocean Club, Panama City; Trump Soho, New York; Trump International Hotel & Tower, Toronto, Canada; and Trump International Hotel & Tower, Waikiki Beach, Hawaii.
Fact 24: Donald Trump has Scottish and German ancestry.
- His mother is from Scotland.
Fact 25: Donald Trump owns 18 golf courses around the world.
- Trump International Golf Links, Scotland is one of these.